1. Establishment Period: 1949 – 1959
Bandung Technical Institute (Bandung Technische Hoogeschool) was established in 1920 during the Dutch colonial time. It was the first technical higher education institute in Indonesia focusing in technical and natural science disciplines. After declaration of independence of the Republic of Indonesia, in 1948 Bandung Technical Institute became the Faculty of Technical Sciences (Faculteit van Technische Wetenschappen) and the Faculty of Natural Sciences (Faculteit van Wis en Natuurkunde) of the University of Indonesia.
In February 1948 a Mining Division focusing in Geologisch Exploratie Ingenieur (geological exploration engineering) and Geoloog (geology) study program was established under the Faculty of Technical Sciences. The teaching program started in July 1949 but only for the first and second year then the study should be completed in TH Delft (the Netherlands). In the first batch there were six registered students but one of them moved to another division. In 1950 Geology Division was established and moved to the Faculty of Natural Sciences.
Although having limited laboratory facilities the teaching program in Mining Division went quite well with Dutch lecturers. More students were registered since 1950. The curriculum offered majors in mining exploration, mining engineering, mineral processing and petroleum engineering after the third year. The political situation in mid 1950s enforced the Dutch lecturers to back home and they were replaced by professors and lecturers from USA under the higher education collaboration agreement with the University of Kentucky. Some of the graduates recruited to be lecturer and they were sent to USA for 1-2 years or even more to improve their skill and knowledge through training or tertiary education scheme. The collaboration was terminated in 1965. Since then, the lecturers were all Indonesian.
2. Development Period: 1959 – now
After almost 10 years under the University of Indonesia, Institut Teknologi Bandung (ITB) as an independent government owned academic institution was declared in 1959 followed by the reorganization of departments. Mining and Geology Sections were under the Department of Mineral Technology (Departemen Teknologi Mineral or DTM). In 1962 the Rector of ITB declared the establishment of Petroleum Engineering Section under the DTM. The Mining Section consisted of mining exploration, mining engineering and metallurgical engineering, representing the flow chain of mining activity from finding of mineral deposit, development and extraction, to mineral processing. This scheme was reflected in the curriculum as an options. The students could choose the option in the third year.
In 1973 new academic system was introduced in ITB. The old system developed by the Dutch based on level was replaced by the credit hour system. After some years of implementation in ITB such system became the national standard.
Some internal organizational changes in ITB gave insignificant impacts to the study program but more impact in the administrative work. Such changes are summarized as follows:
- 1963-1973 : Mining section under the Department of Mineral Technology
- 1973-1984 : Mining engineering department under the Faculty of Industrial Technology
- 1984-2000 : Mining engineering department under the Faculty of Mineral Technology
- 2000-2007 : Mining engineering department under the Faculty of Earth Sciences & Mineral Technology
- 2007-now : Mining engineering department under the Faculty of Mining & Petroleum Engineering
In 2005 the metallurgical option in the mining engineering study program was developed to be a separate study program of metallurgical engineering. Since then the study program of mining engineering consisted of two options or majors, namely mining exploration and mining engineering.